Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Elders Support "It Gets Better!"

I am exhilarated by the ever growing "It Gets Better" project. IGB was created by sex columnist Dan Savage in response to the recent gay teen suicides to help gay teens realize that life, self-esteem, and interactions with others do, indeed, get better.

In an earlier post and on my Naked at Our Age Facebook page, I invited readers (of any and all sexual colors and stripes) to connect with teens and support them in their quest to understand themselves. Those of us who have lived through many decades since our own adolescence still remember how unsure we were of ourselves, how dangerous the world seemed, how tentative our steps until we found our way, and how much better it is now, with experience, wisdom, and self-acceptance.

I love seeing how "It Gets Better" has grown, and especially how many of the participants have wrinkles and gray or white hair (or no hair!). Watch this moving video, "It gets Better: Wisdom from our Gay Elders":




Please also watch this moving performance by the Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles:



What do you think our role is, as elders--whether straight or gay--in helping gay teens? I invite your comments.

1 comment:

  1. That's definitely interesting. I think our elders definitely have effects on our viewpoints, but at the same time. But I would say that our parents have more effect on what we think than our grandparents.

    ReplyDelete

My readers and I appreciate your thoughtful comments. Please share your views! Comments are moderated, so yours won't appear until I've seen it. Thank you in advance for commenting!

Some people have reported problems commenting. If this happens to you, please email your comment (with the name under which you want it posted) to joan@joanprice.com, and I'll post it for you.

Retailers please note: I delete comments that attempt to hijack my readers to a commercial site. If you'd like to advertise, contact me at joan@joanprice.com and I'll be happy to send you information.

Authors, therapists and sex educators who have helpful information for readers are welcome to post links to their sites.

-- Joan