Monday, May 30, 2011

Naked at Our Age: Talking Out Loud about Senior Sex: preview of chapter titles


I'm thrilled to announce that Naked at Our Age: Talking Out Loud about Senior Sex from the fabulous publisher, Seal Press, is officially out on June 1, 2011!

Each chapter is filled with reader stories and questions, with advice from experts. Read the list of experts here, with links to their websites and books.

Take a look at the chapter titles -- and do let me know which chapter(s) you're particularly eager to read:




Naked at Our Age: Talking Out Loud about Senior Sex
by Joan Price

Introduction

Foreword by Betty Dodson

Chapter 1. The Old Ways Don’t Do It Anymore!

Chapter 2. Reviving Desire

Chapter 3. Sex Toys: Now More Than Ever

Chapter 4. Together yet Alone: Is This My Marriage?

Chapter 5. Talking about Sex

Chapter 6. Off the Beaten Path: Nontraditional Sex Practices and Relationships

Chapter 7. Surviving Divorce, Breakup, Betrayal 

Chapter 8. Sex with Myself

Chapter 9. Unlearning Our Upbringing: Women’s Stories

Chapter 10. Unlearning Our Upbringing: Men’s Stories

Chapter 11. When Sex Hurts: Vulvar/Vaginal Pain

Chapter 12. Reclaiming Sexuality After Cancer

Chapter 13. Erectile Dysfunction: What Men Don't Say Out Loud

Chapter 14. Erectile Dysfunction:  Women Speak Out

Chapter 15. No Way Back: When Your Partner Has Alzheimer’s Disease

Chapter 16. Death, Grieving . . . and Then What?

Chapter 17. Sensuality for Hire

Chapter 18. DWO: Dating While Old(er)

Chapter 19. Safer Sex—Yes, At Our Age

Chapter 20. Better Now than Than Ever: the Joys of Older-Age Sex

Meet Our Experts



To purchase an autographed copy directly from me, click the PayPal "Buy Now" button below. I'll ship immediately!


You can also order now from Amazon.

If you haven't read my earlier senior sex book, Better Than I Ever Expected: Straight Talk about Sex After Sixty, I hope you will! It celebrates the joys of senior sex--including my spicy love story with Robert! Order an autographed copy from me here:


  Or order from Better Than I Ever Expected on Amazon. It's also available as a Kindle edition.

9 comments:

  1. Hardin ReddyAugust 01, 2010

    Which am I most eager to read? 20 stands out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably will be reading chapters 13 and 14 closely. I've read that erection quality is often indicative of a man's health as he gets older. I'm currently 33 and my lovely girlfriend is 62. Since we began making love, she's indicated one reason she wanted to date someone younger was because of erection quality. I guess I'm very curious as to what I can expect from my body as I get older.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book appears to really go into depth, an impressive piece of work, and something which makes a real contribution.

    I like that Chapter 8 is titled "Sex With Myself." That's a healthier term than the usual "masturbation" which often has the stigma of being second rate to the "real thing."

    Wow, Joan, congratulations, you finished!

    fond regards, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just done a search on Amazon, which has almost every book in the known Universe, and can find all of three books which appear to discuss "elder sexuality." The only one on the search page entirely devoted to this subject is a clinical study.

    Several years ago I was engaged in a more impassioned and dedicated search for information, inspiration, support, for being a sexy older person. I found very little. Joan's website is still the best one I know about on this topic. No books in particular emerged either, although I did read a couple of good ones, written mainly for women, about the "change of life" and a couple of excellent new books on women's sexuality in general.

    There are also books for men about various sexual challenges, a few about cultivating sexuality, and information for gay and lesbian folks, but almost nothing written for us, magnificent elders.

    So I wonder if the term "groundbreaking" would apply to "Naked At Our Age?"

    Oooh, can't wait to watch the uproar and controversy this new book is bound to bring out. Sorry, but I love drama. Stand firm (or do the best you can:) sister and brother warriors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paula, I want to frame your last two paragraphs! Indeed, it is groundbreaking to have this combination of personal stories and tips from the best experts in the sexuality field in one book about senior/boomer/elder sexuality.

    I welcome controversy -- in fact, I wrote in the book, "I thank in advance those people who will ridicule our desire for lifelong sexuality, because they will spur us to speak out even more loudly!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. This new cover is so much better than the first one. In fact, it's gorgeous and connotes both the vulnerability and brazenness of sexuality in midlife and beyond. I will gladly buy it the minute it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're looking forward to this book as well! This will hopefully be breaking stigmas against age and sex, highlighted in this weeks Dr. Pat's Notebook: http://womensvoicesforchange.org/sex-over-50-wsj-reports-the-new-normal-and-it%E2%80%99s-great-dr-pats-notebook.htm

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joan, I'm so excited that your book is about to come out! And that you'll be talking about it in NY -- I'll see you July 5! Love, Sally

    ReplyDelete
  9. AnonymousJune 21, 2011

    So, last weekend I'm seated around a campfire in Arches National Park with an old friend/lover who is 62 (I'm 66) and we're talking to a 72 year old long time friend/lover who's 62yo husband is down in their pop up hooked up to the Internet. The wife is moaning about how they have no sex life and its been that way for years.

    Both of us speak up at the same time and say the same thing to her, "You have to buy "Naked at Our Age" and read it and get him to read it.

    What are the odds that this conversation is gonna happen on a camping trip in the Utah boonies?

    ReplyDelete

My readers and I appreciate your thoughtful comments. Please share your views! Comments are moderated, so yours won't appear until I've seen it. Thank you in advance for commenting!

Some people have reported problems commenting. If this happens to you, please email your comment (with the name under which you want it posted) to joan@joanprice.com, and I'll post it for you.

Retailers please note: I delete comments that attempt to hijack my readers to a commercial site. If you'd like to advertise, contact me at joan@joanprice.com and I'll be happy to send you information.

Authors, therapists and sex educators who have helpful information for readers are welcome to post links to their sites.

-- Joan