Sunday, February 07, 2010

Valentine's Day Gift Guide, pt. 1: Favorite Books

Since I started this blog in November 2005, I've written 350 blog posts, including 43 book reviews, and 20 vibrator reviews. Valentine's Day is coming in a week -- which, in my view, is for celebrating our capacity for love and passion, whether we're partnered right now or not.

In this post are a few of my favorites among the books I've reviewed, with links to my original review.  Some of these books are spicy and explicit, others are subtle enough to leave on view if you're expecting company, and some are so informative that you'll want to talk about them at the water cooler.

Tomorrow I'll post some favorite sex toys!

Spicy and/or informative books:

Autumn Romance: Stories and Portraits of Love after 50 by Carol Denker: A beautiful coffee-table book with stories and photos of later-life romances.

X: The Erotic Treasury: 40 Sexy Stories ed.Susie Bright. Explicit, edgy, hardcore, and beautifully bound.

Best Women's Erotica 2010 & other books from Cleis Press. If you want books with explicit sex -- maybe a special preference or kink -- check out Cleis.


Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach. Entertaining and informative, filled with the weirdness of both the procedures and findings of sex research.

Getting Naked Again: Dating, Romance, Sex, and Love When You’ve Been Divorced, Widowed, Dumped, or Distracted by Judith Sills. The subtitle says it all!


Rescue Me, He's Wearing a Moose Hat: And 40 Other Dates After 50 by Sherry Halperin. Come on, we have to keep a sense of humor about this dating stuff -- and Halperin does.


Better Than I Ever Expected: Straight Talk about Sex After Sixty, my own book of my love story with Robert, celebrating the joys and addressing the challenges of senior sexuality.



Read more of my book reviews here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My readers and I appreciate your thoughtful comments. Please share your views! Comments are moderated, so yours won't appear until I've seen it. Thank you in advance for commenting!

Some people have reported problems commenting. If this happens to you, please email your comment (with the name under which you want it posted) to joan@joanprice.com, and I'll post it for you.

Retailers please note: I delete comments that attempt to hijack my readers to a commercial site. If you'd like to advertise, contact me at joan@joanprice.com and I'll be happy to send you information.

Authors, therapists and sex educators who have helpful information for readers are welcome to post links to their sites.

-- Joan