Thursday, November 26, 2009

Smartballs review, part I

Smartballs Teneo Kegel Sex Toy from Good Vibrations The Uno (one ball) and Duo (two connected balls) Smartballs Teneo Kegel Sex Toys from Fun Factory that Good Vibrations sent intrigued me. The letter I got with the Smartballs said,

Both models are designed to be inserted vaginally. Inside the larger ball is a smaller marble that rolls around as the hips move, creating hands-free G-spot sensations. You can wear them during masturbation, oral sex, or anal sex to add some fun. Or try them while wearing a strap-on harness, when you go out dancing, or (as one customer reported) while mopping the floor. However you use them, get creative and see what you can come up with. They're coated in silicone for easy cleaning, too.

Doesn't that sound like fun! They're Kegel exercisers for strengthening the pelvic floor -- something we need, especially as older women -- that also provide vaginal stimulation whether we're indulging in erotic play or just going about our daily lives.

In my role as Good Vibrations Brand Ambassador, it's my responsibility to review products honestly, candidly, and with a senior/elder perspective. Usually that's easy -- I try the product, enjoy the product, and review it according to what I think would be valuable to helpp you decide whether this product would be right for you.

I had a problem, though, with the Smartballs Teneo Kegel Sex Toys: I couldn't get the darn things in!

I've never been a "size queen." I'm petite, to begin with, and have never had children. As a young woman, I had no trouble accommodating a penis of any size when I was aroused enough. At 66 now and widowed -- that has a lot to do with it -- it's logical I'm tighter than I used to be. (A whole chapter in my new book, Naked at Our Age, addresses how to prevent and/or fix this problem -- more about that soon.)

The Smartballs measure 1-1/2 inches in diameter. That might not seem like such a big stretch (pun intended), but the spherical shape adds to the problem. If they were tapered, I wouldn't have a problem. It's just that initial entry that encounters resistance.

Maybe the problem was that I tried to insert the Smartball when I wasn't aroused, I figured. So I teamed it with my Hitachi Magic Wand -- always a delightful experience -- and in fact was able to relax enough to insert the single ball (Uno), although still not without difficulty and discomfort.

Once inserted, the ball was fun. A lot of fun. Inserting a finger into the looped string part and using a bouncing yo-yo motion, I could make the ball wriggle and give me very pleasurable sensations. I liked it a lot.

I considered leaving the Smartball in while I went to teach my line dance class that evening, but I was fearful of how difficult it would be to remove. I decided I'd better get it out while I was relaxed from my pleasure experience. Even so, it was difficult and uncomfortable to remove, to the point of minor pain.

I don't dare try the Duo yet. I'll be working on some exercises I got from a fabulous expert -- I'll introduce her in a different post. Using my current experience as a benchmark, I'll see how my ability to accommodate size changes. I'll also let you know what it's like to dance wearing Smartballs!

If you have no trouble inserting the 1-1/2" balls, you'll enjoy them, and you'll have plenty of incentive to practice your Kegel exercises with something pleasureable to play with internally. I'd love to hear your experience with them.

This was a difficult review for me to write, pushing my own boundaries of disclosure. But I know that my experience is mirrored by many women, and I'd rather be candid with you and help you deal with these challenges than protect some notion of privacy. Do let me know if this valuable to you, please.



see 12/5/09 update here.

12/15: For contrast, please read Essin' Em's very positive review . One of the many values of these Internet sex toy reviews from real users willing to be candid is that readers can compare reviews. Older readers may identify with me; younger "Kegel athletes" will identify with Essin' Em. Many thanks to Good Vibrations for welcoming responses from a variety of reviewers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My readers and I appreciate your thoughtful comments. Please share your views! Comments are moderated, so yours won't appear until I've seen it. Thank you in advance for commenting!

Some people have reported problems commenting. If this happens to you, please email your comment (with the name under which you want it posted) to joan@joanprice.com, and I'll post it for you.

Retailers please note: I delete comments that attempt to hijack my readers to a commercial site. If you'd like to advertise, contact me at joan@joanprice.com and I'll be happy to send you information.

Authors, therapists and sex educators who have helpful information for readers are welcome to post links to their sites.

-- Joan