Tuesday, September 15, 2009

X: The Erotic Treasury: 40 sexy stories


I took a month to read and savor X: The Erotic Treasury edited by Susie Bright, rationing myself just one or two of the 40 stories a day so I could think about them. This anthology is unusual for several reasons:

1. It's a beautiful gift book, its cover decorated in a deep, shiny, rich, red pattern that looks almost like brocade, inserted into a fancy, equally decorative, cardboard holder with an "X" cut out.

2. The stories are really well-written. Most erotica just plops the reader into a sex scene, but most of these stories actually have plot development and character nuance.

3. This anthology runs the gamut of sexual preferences and turn-ons. Whether or not a particular story or sex act turns you on personally, it's a rich collection of what rings people's chimes.

My sexual tastes are admittedly tame compared to most of the characters in these stories. I don't personally fantasize about being raped, dominated, gang-banged, or forced to go to the office in a tight corset with painful studs. But even the stories that didn't turn me on personally were intriguing. I got to see an edgy side of people's sex urges that I found fascinating. For example, I've never had the urge to be penetrated by a shoe ("and then it was inside of me, that perfect leather-covered heel") or to invite five strangers to come on my face, but I won't forget these stories anytime soon.

In case you're wondering, you won't find characters our age in these stories -- most are of the instantly aroused, sopping-wet-panties generation. Bill Noble's male character in the intricately plotted "Salt" has a gray ponytail, hurray.

Notable is the frequent use of condoms in these stories -- hurray again. I've often thought that condom use would become more accepted if it was seen as part of erotic foreplay, and these stories play up that angle.

X: The Erotic Treasury is available in hardcover and Kindle edition. Although the hardcover is expensive, it's a beautiful, spicy gift for your lover or yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My readers and I appreciate your thoughtful comments. Please share your views! Comments are moderated, so yours won't appear until I've seen it. Thank you in advance for commenting!

Some people have reported problems commenting. If this happens to you, please email your comment (with the name under which you want it posted) to joan@joanprice.com, and I'll post it for you.

Retailers please note: I delete comments that attempt to hijack my readers to a commercial site. If you'd like to advertise, contact me at joan@joanprice.com and I'll be happy to send you information.

Authors, therapists and sex educators who have helpful information for readers are welcome to post links to their sites.

-- Joan