Tuesday, July 07, 2009

"Booty call" at 64?

Arlette, age 64, sent me her interview questionnaire for my new book, and I'm puzzling over something. What did we call "booty call" before that term was invented? What would we seniors call it now?

Arlette is single, independent, loves her solitude, and loves sex. She has a partner who feels the same. They have great sex and good conversation, then she goes back to her life and he to his. They're not living together or dating; they're just having uncomplicated, uninhibited, and exuberant sex when they want to.

Arlette writes me that she's living her fantasies -- and I'm delighted for her. I'm just wondering if we have a term to describe the relationship that's a bit more elegant or mature than "booty call"? (She didn't call it that -- I just can't think of what to use instead.)

I know, some of you will tell me that this kind of relationship doesn't warrant an elegant or mature term, but I don't agree. If we don't do exactly what we want at our age, when will we? I'm curious to know what you think.

3 comments:

  1. Isn't this what you referred to in your book as a sex buddy? I'm not crazy about that term either, or friends-with-benefits. They sound more suited to the younger crowd. Until something better is invented, I think I'd call him my sex friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is a "sex buddy" -- and I do prefer that term. It sounds more equal on both sides than "booty call," which gives the impression one person is usng the other.

    I like your idea of "sex friend" -- that's sweet, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJune 13, 2010

    In the last couple of months I started to have one of these kinds of relationships, and I spontaneously found myself calling him my touch-friend. We both like the term. Both words emphasize what we're doing, as friends, with wonderful touch.

    Miriam

    ReplyDelete

My readers and I appreciate your thoughtful comments. Please share your views! Comments are moderated, so yours won't appear until I've seen it. Thank you in advance for commenting!

Some people have reported problems commenting. If this happens to you, please email your comment (with the name under which you want it posted) to joan@joanprice.com, and I'll post it for you.

Retailers please note: I delete comments that attempt to hijack my readers to a commercial site. If you'd like to advertise, contact me at joan@joanprice.com and I'll be happy to send you information.

Authors, therapists and sex educators who have helpful information for readers are welcome to post links to their sites.

-- Joan