Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Changing society's view of senior sex

I'm delighted that this blog has been selected by several sites for their "best of the web" list! Here are some honors we've received in the past few months:

Ultrasound Technician Schools lists Better Than I Ever Expected as one of the "50 Best Blogs for Your Anti-Aging Toolbelt" -- and the only blog dealing with sexuality.

Seniors for Living includes us in their Top 100 Senior Blogs & Web Sites, noting, "Joan Price offers straight talk about sex after 60, aiming to prove that older women are not sexless."

RN Central, a resource for nurses and nursing students, recommends our blog in its "Top 100 Health and Wellness Sites for Seniors."


It warms my heart that senior sex is finally becoming accepted in society as we struggle to talk out loud about it. When my book, Better Than I Ever Expected: Straight Talk about Sex After Sixty first came out at the end of 2005, it attracted media attention, partly because it made mainstream America go "Eeeeuuu, ick!" But now, so many books and magazine articles deal with senior sex that it's starting to be accepted as "normal," even trendy.

We're also listed on sex-positive sites that address all age groups. This is important, too, because we need to show young people that we sexy seniors/boomers/elders aren't alien creatures, and that our juniors have plenty to look forward to as they age.

Thank you to the forward-thinking people who selected this blog as worthy of their "best of" listings and blog rolls -- I appreciate it tremenously. And if you've just happened on this blog, welcome. Please stay a while and read past blog posts and comments. See the "labels" list at the right, or just sample at will.

As I like to say, we're changing society's view of sex and aging -- one mind at a time.

1 comment:

  1. The Kudos are well deserved. This blog makes an important contribution not only in the rhetorics of aging and sex, but in the feminist sphere as well, as it unhooks sex from youth and allows women to be both powerful (read: aged and knowledgeable) AND sexual at the same time. Keep up the great work.

    Christina

    ReplyDelete

My readers and I appreciate your thoughtful comments. Please share your views! Comments are moderated, so yours won't appear until I've seen it. Thank you in advance for commenting!

Some people have reported problems commenting. If this happens to you, please email your comment (with the name under which you want it posted) to joan@joanprice.com, and I'll post it for you.

Retailers please note: I delete comments that attempt to hijack my readers to a commercial site. If you'd like to advertise, contact me at joan@joanprice.com and I'll be happy to send you information.

Authors, therapists and sex educators who have helpful information for readers are welcome to post links to their sites.

-- Joan