Sunday, May 24, 2009

Vibrating with the Hands-free Cone

My first introduction to the Cone Vibrator was at the 2008 AASECT (American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists) convention. Lively and handsome sex educator Cory Silverberg powered on the Cone, set it on a table, and invited us to gather round.

It must have looked like a futuristic seance -- a group of adults, college age to elders, circling a table, our hands resting on the edges of the table as a bright pink cone-shaped device whirred on top. The Cone sent vibrations through the whole table and into our hands. We all mouthed "Wow!" and I could see the gleams in dozens of eyes as we put the Cone on our "I want one of those!" list.


But at $130? Would it be worth that price? (Oh, yes, I discovered.) And how exactly do you use a cone-shaped vibrator that measures 4-1/2” tall, and 7-3/4” in diameter?

Lucky me, I received my Cone from Good Vibrations and after, uh, studying its appeal for a few weeks, I'm happy to review it for you. (What a job I have!)

First of all, forget all previous notions about what shape a vibrator should be. It doesn't need to look like a penis or a massager -- or a duck, bullet, or lipstick, for that matter. The Cone was designed for utility. It vibrates hard or gently or anything in between, with 16 different settings from which to choose. Start with a purr and graduate to a hum and ultimately a howl. Those are your noises, not the Cone's -- it stays steadily noisy, but you won't care.) Or you can go for the goal right away. Your choice.

The shape lets you use it in all sorts of ways. The tip can penetrate if that's what you like, or you can press any part of the Cone against your clitoris for extreme and focused sensation. You can lie on your stomach or your back with the Cone between your legs, or sit on it, or use it in any way that strikes your fancy.

Here's what makes it special for our age group: Those of us with arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome, or any other condition that makes it difficult to hold an intensely vibrating object for a long period of time will welcome this device. Our arousal generally takes longer than younger folks, and we need more intense stimulation. That sometimes means that our wrists give out before the crashing waves arrive, or we keep going and then can't type or lift weights for the rest of the day. The Cone operates independently of our wrists. We put it where we want it, and it settles in nicely and stays there, freeing our hands for other activities.

Do you own the Cone? Please share your experiences with it!

* Please note: posts on this blog may only be republished with permission. To request permission, email me with the header "permission to reprint." Thank you for respecting my copyright. -- Joan

3 comments:

  1. It seems to me that the Vibrating Cone is a poor substitute for that silent, but clear inner voice that says we love each other through our loving touching. Might be good for sexual arousal to ejaculation and on to orgasms. Hey! Baby, I'd go for the real thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doug, yes, but you have a partner and therefore a choice. Many of us -- myself included right now -- do not.

    -- Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I've never seen it in black, very cool! I wanted one of these for so long, and was triumphant to finally sit on one!

    ReplyDelete

My readers and I appreciate your thoughtful comments. Please share your views! Comments are moderated, so yours won't appear until I've seen it. Thank you in advance for commenting!

Some people have reported problems commenting. If this happens to you, please email your comment (with the name under which you want it posted) to joan@joanprice.com, and I'll post it for you.

Retailers please note: I delete comments that attempt to hijack my readers to a commercial site. If you'd like to advertise, contact me at joan@joanprice.com and I'll be happy to send you information.

Authors, therapists and sex educators who have helpful information for readers are welcome to post links to their sites.

-- Joan