Monday, January 26, 2009

Guide To Getting It On: best sex "manual" ever!

I love the new Guide To Getting It On, 6th Edition, by Paul Joannides, Psy.D., illustrated by Daerick Gross, Sr. At 992 pages, it may be the biggest, most up to date, and most comprehensive sex manual you'll find for adults of all ages --and in my view, it's also the best.

You'll learn plenty, even if you think you know it all, and the warm, friendly, often funny style will keep you reading even after you've sated your curiosity about some topic or other. Even the Table of Contents is worth reading carefully, with titles such as "Orgasms, Sunsets & Hand Grenades"; "Balls, Balls, Balls"; "Oral Sex -- Penises & Popsicles"; "Oral Sex -- Vulvas & Honeypots"; "Fun With Your Foreskin"; "Techno Breasts & Weenie Angst"; and "Kink in the Animal Kingdom."

At first, I was disappointed that there was no specific chapter about senior/elder sex and just sporadic mentions of older age at all (such as brief sections on menopause and "The Couch-Potato Penis"). But the more I read, the happier I became that Joannides includes our age group as part of the big whole of humanity, not compartmentalizing us as needing extra delicacy or cheerleading. There's a marvelous illustration of a couple maybe in their eighties, both leaning on walkers and kissing fervently, a former edition of the book propped in front of each of them. The chapter is about kissing -- not about elder kissing, just about kissing. How refreshing!

Of course there are chapters that we of a certain age don't need any more (except to leave strategically for our grandchildren) about first times, birth control, "what's inside a girl," and so on. But, my goodness, even with my knowledge and jaded experience, I learned a heap of fascinating facts about sex through the ages, the evolution of underwear, sex in cyberspace, various kinks, even the sex history of Barbie dolls (really -- you've got to read about Cock-Ring Ken!).

Thank you, Paul Joannides, for such a fresh, funny, and fascinating look at our world of sex. Highly recommended!

Check out Guide To Getting It On from Goofy Foot Press or Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My readers and I appreciate your thoughtful comments. Please share your views! Comments are moderated, so yours won't appear until I've seen it. Thank you in advance for commenting!

Some people have reported problems commenting. If this happens to you, please email your comment (with the name under which you want it posted) to, and I'll post it for you.

Retailers please note: I delete comments that attempt to hijack my readers to a commercial site. If you'd like to advertise, contact me at and I'll be happy to send you information.

Authors, therapists and sex educators who have helpful information for readers are welcome to post links to their sites.

-- Joan