Thursday, October 23, 2008

Dr. Ruth at 80 still talking sex

I'm listening to Dr. Ruth Westheimer on the Ronn Owens show on KGO radio, San Francisco. The podcast is here, and I recommend listening to it -- it's a combination of great advice and very funny interaction between the two. Dr. Ruth is 80 now, and she tells us that she doesn't do everything that she talks about these days.


A woman called to ask her advice: she's a widow who had enjoyed a fabulous sex life with her husband (until the day he died, in fact) and turned to a vibrator after he died. She called because her heart raced fast enough to concern her whenever she used the vibrator. Dr. Ruth advised her to talk to her doctor before using the vibrator again and get checked out.

This made my mind go in a couple of directions. First, and we've discussed this before, how many of you would feel comfortable asking your doctor about vibrator use? Dr. Ruth said, "Don't be shy," but that's easier said than done.

Second, have any of you experienced a racing heart (more than what you'd consider usual) due to sexual stimulation (with or without a sex toy), and if you did consult a doctor, what did you learn?

Dr. Ruth now has a brief section of her website for "50 and Over" consisting of a few Q&A. Here are some of her books:

No comments:

Post a Comment

My readers and I appreciate your thoughtful comments. Please share your views! Comments are moderated, so yours won't appear until I've seen it. Thank you in advance for commenting!

Some people have reported problems commenting. If this happens to you, please email your comment (with the name under which you want it posted) to joan@joanprice.com, and I'll post it for you.

Retailers please note: I delete comments that attempt to hijack my readers to a commercial site. If you'd like to advertise, contact me at joan@joanprice.com and I'll be happy to send you information.

Authors, therapists and sex educators who have helpful information for readers are welcome to post links to their sites.

-- Joan