Friday, May 16, 2008

Love After 80

Love isn't blind after eighty! I enjoyed this story which appeared in Chris Smith's column in the Santa Rosa (California) Press Democrat. I've reprinted it with his permission:


MAKING EYES: It began with small talk between two widowed strangers earlier this spring in the optical department at Kaiser. Dewey Logan, 83, and Sylvia Wyatt, 85, struck up a conversation while sitting side by side and waiting for their new specs. Then Dewey summoned the nerve to ask Sylvia for her phone number. Today they're back home in Santa Rosa after a honeymoon in Reno.

-- Chris Smith


People ask me all the time how to "meet someone." I always tell them, "Do what you love doing on your own, and you'll meet people who love the same activities." I met my wonderful Robert at my own line dancing class!


Increasingly, though, I hear stories like the one above, or like the woman who wrote in about meeting her soulmate while waiting to have her blood pressure taken. You never know where you might encounter that person who will put a spring in your step and a zing in your heart!


Do you have an unusual story about how you met your special someone? Please comment!

2 comments:

  1. Love this post, Joan!

    When I was a teenager, the lady next door, who was also the postmistress for our tiny upstate NY township, and who had cared for her invalid, demented and difficult mother all her adult life, was finally freed at age 78when her ninetysomething mother passed on. About a year later, we noticed she had a gentleman caller, and Clara became a first-time bride at 83. We took great delight in giving her a shower complete with lacy nighties and underwear. "It's never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot.

    No matter what your age, you'll find help and answers to all your relationship questions in the "DR. Romance" blog at http://drromance.typepad.com/dr_romance_blog/

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'People ask me all the time how to "meet someone." I always tell them, "Do what you love doing on your own, and you'll meet people who love the same activities." . . .'

    I think this is so so true!

    Like, don't be "looking." Don't try so hard, just go on being you, love is inevitable.

    I met my husband after I had decided I was fine being single, I had people to love, and I could have affairs with various men, I didn't need to be married. Actually the first time we met, I was trying to get away from another guy's unwanted attention at a big party. Then we met again when I was helping a friend out with a minor injury, something I was learning at the time.

    It's so ironic that the people who don't seem to be very directly interested in (and looking for) relationships and sex are the most attractive.

    To me there's a difference between needing a relationship and just wanting one because it's rewarding. I think we'd all prefer to be with someone who already loves themself and doesn't need someone else's approval to be okay.

    ReplyDelete

My readers and I appreciate your thoughtful comments. Please share your views! Comments are moderated, so yours won't appear until I've seen it. Thank you in advance for commenting!

Some people have reported problems commenting. If this happens to you, please email your comment (with the name under which you want it posted) to joan@joanprice.com, and I'll post it for you.

Retailers please note: I delete comments that attempt to hijack my readers to a commercial site. If you'd like to advertise, contact me at joan@joanprice.com and I'll be happy to send you information.

Authors, therapists and sex educators who have helpful information for readers are welcome to post links to their sites.

-- Joan