Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Lock Up Our Genitals: Security Device for (Female) Sexual Organs


Just when I thought (a) I'd seen it all and (b) we were making social progress, I happen upon a site showing the application for a patent for "Security Underwear Device for Sexual Organs." A new take on the old chastity belt, this is a "sexual armor" device that covers the female genitalia and anus (with openings just large enough to permit excretion) to prevent rape and the spread of AIDs and other STDs. The key or combination is not given to the wearer, so that she can't be coerced to give it to the rapist or opportunist. Oh, dear.

August 2009 update: I've discovered that X-ratedpatents.com is no longer a live link, so I've removed it.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing, Joan! I looked around snopes.com (my favorite Internet-hoax-debunking website), but they didn't have anything on it. So I sent it to them. I'll let you know what they have to say on the topic! I wrote a bit on my adolescent sexuality blog about it as well:

    http://www.adolescentsexualitytoday.blogspot.com

    Cheers!
    Karen Rayne, Ph.D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think while I was asleep someone swapped universes on us. This is unbelievable.

    However there are humans around who actually are demented and twisted enough to think something like this up. You know, those "religious" people who want to return us to "the good old days."

    The way this is being promoted -- as a benefit to women -- reminds me of the greenwashing that is being used to cover up rampant environmental destruction.

    At first glance for just a second I thought "oh cool, here's a drawing of the complete female anatomy." Then I took a closer look and read the post.

    This is a true horror.

    I'm glad to read (above) that someone is informing teens about this.

    ReplyDelete

My readers and I appreciate your thoughtful comments. Please share your views! Comments are moderated, so yours won't appear until I've seen it. Thank you in advance for commenting!

Some people have reported problems commenting. If this happens to you, please email your comment (with the name under which you want it posted) to joan@joanprice.com, and I'll post it for you.

Retailers please note: I delete comments that attempt to hijack my readers to a commercial site. If you'd like to advertise, contact me at joan@joanprice.com and I'll be happy to send you information.

Authors, therapists and sex educators who have helpful information for readers are welcome to post links to their sites.

-- Joan