Monday, April 30, 2007

Stone Age Swingers


Darn, I keep saying that we Boomers invented sex, but I'm wrong.

According to an article by Roger Dobson in the Sunday Times Online (UK), prehistoric men and women left evidence of a swinging lifestyle: bondage, group sex, sex toys, and other evidence that even then, people recognized that sex was for fun, not just for procreation.

Dobson interviewed Timothy Taylor, reader in archeology at Bradford University, who reviewed evidence from dozens of archeological finds and scientific studies. “The widespread lay belief that sex in the past was predominantly heterosexual and reproductive can be challenged,” said Taylor. Intercourse, Taylor says, was "a vital part of social interaction, communication and inventiveness." His research has been published by Haworth Press in the Handbook of the Evolution of Human Sexuality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My readers and I appreciate your thoughtful comments. Please share your views! Comments are moderated, so yours won't appear until I've seen it. Thank you in advance for commenting!

Some people have reported problems commenting. If this happens to you, please email your comment (with the name under which you want it posted) to joan@joanprice.com, and I'll post it for you.

Retailers please note: I delete comments that attempt to hijack my readers to a commercial site. If you'd like to advertise, contact me at joan@joanprice.com and I'll be happy to send you information.

Authors, therapists and sex educators who have helpful information for readers are welcome to post links to their sites.

-- Joan